Pages

Cypher Sundays

Written by Abukar Ahmed

This weeks cypher has two groups of emcees going in over DJ Premieres beat for the 2008 BET Awards cypher...


Score:
3/5

More a Pass-the-Mic session than it is a genuine cypher, this squad runs 10-men deep and features some impressively witted emcees nonetheless. Laced with witty word-play and a multitude of pop culture references, this is a fun and energetic take on the original Class of 2008 BET Cypher.

MVP - Da Truth
Best Bars:

"I want stardom/something you're far from/I will con-vince/sure, I'll dog them/ I wont Vince them, I'll Lombard them"


Score:
2.5/5

While lacking the depth witnessed in the Cincinnati Cypher, in this students cypher at Northwestern State University, Mojo lends incredible firepower to this group in delivering what is arguably the best 15 bars ever spat over this Premo gem; The BET Cyphers heavyweights included. From the word play and flow to his delivery and tone, Mojo executes the sole verse that rivals New York hip hop titan, Jadakiss' show-stopping effort in the original BET Awards Cypher.

MVP - Mojo
Best Bars:

"Take notice, the president, the futures upon ya/Whack raps not in my genre/It's more like smack rap, I'm sick with the battle lines/I got punchlines that'll leave the microphone with a black eye."

"My currency enormous, BUMPTY/touch you and leave your head with a slant, GUMBY/ the shaft got your girl running back quick, JUNKIE/Always yelling she miss a pimp, BUN B"


No comments:

Post a Comment